Remove this ad

Impecunious

Gott in Himmel!

Lead

Dec 9 16 8:18 AM

Tags : :

Did you notice there was a by-election close to Lincoln yesterday. Neither did lots in the constituency judging by a turnout of just 37%. Sleepy Sleaford living up to it's name. The Conservatives held on to the seat, as they have in every election in my lifetime. Douglas Hogg's duck house couldn't dent their support, and neither did Stephen Phillips ducking out. It's one of the few places where no-one can argue about the result, the Tories get more than 50% of the vote every time.
Labour came fourth, frankly pitiful showing with their share almost halved, behind UKIP whose share declined slightly and the LibDems whose share almost doubled.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Posh Imp

Time I got out more!

#1 [url]

Dec 9 16 5:39 PM

Impecunious wrote:
Did you notice there was a by-election close to Lincoln yesterday. Neither did lots in the constituency judging by a turnout of just 37%. Sleepy Sleaford living up to it's name. The Conservatives held on to the seat, as they have in every election in my lifetime. Douglas Hogg's duck house couldn't dent their support, and neither did Stephen Phillips ducking out. It's one of the few places where no-one can argue about the result, the Tories get more than 50% of the vote every time.
Labour came fourth, frankly pitiful showing with their share almost halved, behind UKIP whose share declined slightly and the LibDems whose share almost doubled.

Yes, I did notice and have been following it all. Good to see the Lib Dems climbing back up but I did expect that after the Richmond result.

The constituency of Sleaford and North Hykeham has only existed since 1997.

Quote    Reply   

Impecunious

Gott in Himmel!

#2 [url]

Dec 9 16 7:48 PM

The constituency was Grantham prior to 1997, but most of the old constituency was absorbed into Sleaford and North Hykeham when Grantham and Stamford was formed. When I was small the only close contest I can remember was when Woodrow Wyatt stood for Labour against 'Honest Joe Godber'in the mid-fifties and only lost by 3 or 4 thousand.
As for the LibDems revival, perhaps people are beginning to realise that in the coalition they kept a lid on the Tories more outlandish policies. I'm beginning to think that the only effective government opposition comes from within a coalition, a feeling perhaps exacerbated by the impotence of the present second largest party in the House of Commons.

Quote    Reply   

Posh Imp

Time I got out more!

#3 [url]

Dec 9 16 11:07 PM

Impecunious wrote:
The constituency was Grantham prior to 1997, but most of the old constituency was absorbed into Sleaford and North Hykeham when Grantham and Stamford was formed. When I was small the only close contest I can remember was when Woodrow Wyatt stood for Labour against 'Honest Joe Godber'in the mid-fifties and only lost by 3 or 4 thousand.
As for the LibDems revival, perhaps people are beginning to realise that in the coalition they kept a lid on the Tories more outlandish policies. I'm beginning to think that the only effective government opposition comes from within a coalition, a feeling perhaps exacerbated by the impotence of the present second largest party in the House of Commons.

Yep, totally agree with that last statement. We need a strong opposition.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help